好用的手机公司, 新年大促销: 3 month FREE! $15/Month 5GB data and text

Author Topic: 文科转行: Re: 咱国大专文科 文科生上班一个月的体会分享 started new job for 1 month  (Read 46432 times)

婕喜

• Core Package
文科转行:  Re: 咱国大专文科 文科生上班一个月的体会分享 started new job for 1 month

Dear all,

Sorry can not type Chinese on my lap top.

Time is flying and I started my new job on June 02. Yesterday I got my second pay cheque: I never dreamed I could make such big amount money in my whole life as I didn't have a bachelor degree either in China or here plus I didn't have any CS background. :) I am really thankful that I got chance to take Laotu laoshi's courses. This is my life turning point. Also I'm grateful for those students like Lucky, Water, Joy, Emily and others who made and are making contributions to this forum. Without you guys, I can never ever got here! And also big thanks to STV and other students who responded my post on the forum and helped me find the solution to solve my work related issue.

I want to share some my working experience here with other students and hopefully can be helpful to those students who are looking for jobs or just started to work.
Actually after I started my new job the first 2 weeks I thought about quit the job at least 3 or 4 times. Because I never used the application before and I felt confused about the data base, tables and columns. Every time when I got ticket ask me to solve the application issues I got stressed out and the worst thing was when the clients came over to my desk ask me to produce reports for them I was nearly scared to death. One thing changed me: one day I had a meeting with a client and a developer who is my back up also attended the meeting. I found he didn't know much than I do and he has been with this hospital for more than 1 year. Then I started to think if he can stay so do I. And my another back up who has been working with this dep for more than 2 years he is even wore than me but since he is white can speak French his salary is about 10,000 higher than mine. There are about 10 people in my dep and only 2 of them went to University and at least half of them don't have any CS background. I'm the only Chinese in my team. I think in this forum, my skill level is lowest but in my dep I'm not the top one but at least I'm not the lowest either. The third week I started to produce some ad hoc reports for other deps and solved some technical issues as well. My boss is happy and my co worker the white guy got very surprised. I still have 2 moths to go to pass the probation and still face some challenges at work since I have this forum as my strong back up, I believe I will not only survive but also succeed my new job. So dear all, if a person like me can finish the courses pass the interview and manage the new job, of course you can and you can do much better than I do.

Have a great weekend!

USA LaoTu Support Team

• Administrator
Re: started new job for 1 month
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 10:26:42 PM »
So nice hearing from your progress Jessie.
Thanks for sharing your real work experience.
Yes, we are sure you will do better and better in your job!
Your English is so good! I wish I can write as good as you in English.

ingrid

• Core Package
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 05:06:47 AM »
Hi Jessie

I was impressed you typed such a long post in English and you said you did not have a degree in China or US.

Smart and hard work can take you to anywhere you like to go.

Best luck

如月

• Core Package
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 12:09:57 PM »
So happy for you ! You did a good job ! Laoshi, please post this message on our website !

婕喜

• Core Package
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 05:43:04 PM »
Thanks everybody for the great encouragement and support! Yes, I think I'm very smart because I took Laotu
Laoshi's courses.  :)

USA LaoTu Support Team

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 09:15:11 AM »
You can type Chinese in any computer by using this web link:
http://www.chinese-tools.com/tools/ime.html

婕喜

• Core Package
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 04:28:20 PM »
Thanks! I tried too slow :(

shadowmaster

Re: 文科生上班一个月的体会分享 started new job for 1 month
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 11:26:18 PM »
看到文科转行的发帖人jessie成功就职很高兴.     不知道jessie同学 可否顺便介绍一下自己目前的工作?  都用到哪些土校课程教授的知识?

lucyxiao

• Core Package
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 11:41:41 PM »
Thanks for sharing!

婕喜

• Core Package
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 07:41:18 AM »
Thanks guys. Yes, I do have something to share. My 3 months probation is going to end next week. I have to take my mom shopping now. Write to you guys later.
Have a nice weekend.

Jessie

婕喜

• Core Package
文科转行:  Re: 咱国大专文科文科生上班一个月的体会分享 started new job for 1 month

Hi guys,

Just came back from shopping. Correction I was on Crystal Reports site a while ago wait for Water and STV and other students to help me out with my work related issue. They are great!
Well since I started to work with this hospital almost 3 months passed. I think you guys already read my post last month.
For me, the work is not that difficult. Once get to know the data base and application, things are getting much easier. As I wished, this job doesn't need high technical skills but do need very good people skills. I was core package and BI student at laoshi's school. Currently I use Crystal Reports to do my work. I don't write sql unless I don't have choice. If I have to write it, I came here ask for help and other students help me out. The data base I use is Oracle 7 g. Actually if I or my coworkers can not do trouble shooting, we can always ask for vendor's help. My coworkers use another application, everytime they call vendor for help, it's free but mine is different everytime I call venQdor or e-mail vendor, vendor always charge the hospital. That's why nobody wants to take my position. But I can handle this job, it's not that difficult. The thing very complicated here is the office politics. Fortunately I used to deal with different people a lot in my past career. It benefits me how to read people's mind how to follow the rule to play the game. My manager likes me a lot. She always said I'm very good at Crystal Reprts and sql. I don't think so. But I do believe we Chinese have very high IQ. I remember somebody said in IT field, if the employer gave you a job offer, of course you can do it no matter what. I already proofed it: lower education, no IT or engineer back ground, after took laoshi's courses now I'm IT profession.
So you guys can do it and do better.

Cheers!

Jessie

婕喜

• Core Package
Ha Ha, I am reading my post.  ;) Time is flying. This one was posted one and half year ago. I noticed there are some grammar and spelling errors. Even now my writing is still not good. This Thursday and Friday I went to a hospitals IT conference. I never saw so many white people gathered together in one room. There were only three Chinese and three Indian. The whole meeting was related to data. I can feel people are realizing how important data is in today's world. The most impressive part was the director of the decision support department from one hospital did a presentation: they used BI tools to get data from data warehouse and created reports posted on SharePoint: translated data into useful information to help make decision and quality control. This part was taught on Laoshi's MSBI course.  Right now in this this city there are only a few hospitals are using BI tools but I'm quite sure it's a trend for the most of the health care organizations as it can decrease the cost and increase the performance. I always think took Laoshi's courses changed my career to data related field is the most correct choice I made in my life. And I am continuing and will continue take Laoshi's courses.

Jessie

Melanie.Lee

• Core Package