好用的手机公司, 新年大促销: 3 month FREE! $15/Month 5GB data and text

Author Topic: One lesson that I learned  (Read 15993 times)

jingzzsaccount

• Core Package
One lesson that I learned
« on: February 15, 2013, 01:30:21 PM »
Hi Classmates,

I am sharing this one lesson I learned that I hope you might benefit from it once you start to work. Don't invite you colleague to correct/help with your English unless you are very sure about his/her personality. My English is pretty good, but of course I am not a native speaker. So when I started my job, I try to be modest, and invite my colleague to correct my English if she noticed I didn't use the words properly. I really regret I did that. She started to correct me a lot.  Once after we did an interview with a client, she has nothing to critique, she said I did not say "please" enough!! Uh?.... I know I am very polite, but should I say "please" in every sentence in an one-hour interview? My lesson is that you should not let your colleague think she is better than you. My colleague, unfortunately, always want to show she is better!  Anyway, we don't have to be arrogant, but we don't need to be too modest!
I hope this helps,
Jing

stillspring

• Core Package
Re: One lesson that I learned
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 04:46:23 PM »
Thanks for sharing!  How long it take you to introduce yourself on the first day?

cqhelen99

• Core Package
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 07:21:51 AM »
We should really learn from Indian's in this area. Being modest in office will not do you any good. You have to be confident and assertive and don't let others think you can be take advantage of.

emilystudy

• Core Package
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 03:51:11 PM »
完全同意。我们的优势是业务好这是本领,当地人的优势是母语好(哈,他们夸夸其谈而言业务水平正好是负相关的)并不是什么能力和本领,所有要有礼有节,别太谦虚(西方文化把谦虚看成不会)。鼓励一下同学。 Emily :)

renee

• Core Package
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 03:53:37 PM »
Jing,

Thanks for sharing.

Hi Classmates,

I am sharing this one lesson I learned that I hope you might benefit from it once you start to work. Don't invite you colleague to correct/help with your English unless you are very sure about his/her personality. My English is pretty good, but of course I am not a native speaker. So when I started my job, I try to be modest, and invite my colleague to correct my English if she noticed I didn't use the words properly. I really regret I did that. She started to correct me a lot.  Once after we did an interview with a client, she has nothing to critique, she said I did not say "please" enough!! Uh?.... I know I am very polite, but should I say "please" in every sentence in an one-hour interview? My lesson is that you should not let your colleague think she is better than you. My colleague, unfortunately, always want to show she is better!  Anyway, we don't have to be arrogant, but we don't need to be too modest!
I hope this helps,
Jing

wenny

• Core Package
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 05:21:16 PM »
Thanks for sharing. I recently started a new job, and am thinking what kind of attitude to show in office. Not too modest, just enough polite should be my answer.